This could be the last time, it may be the last time, I don't know.

 

Today was just so beautiful, it made me nervous. Why? I'm down at the Lordville Estate for perhaps the last time this season and it's sunny, warm (75 degrees) and I'm going out to fish with knowledge that the bugs probably won't show.

Called Jean at about 2:00 to tell her that I've decided to stay overnight and come home in the morning, unless the pseudos don't show up, in which case I'll head home tonight. Called her at 5:55 just east of Deposit to tell her that I had the contents of the fridge (including her beer and a thawed out hamburger) in the car and that my ETA was 7:15. Arrived at 7:11 to find Jean frying up some onions and peppers to put on the hamburger. Sometimes it's more important to be lucky than good.

It's a sad time of year for me. Drove past the homes of several river friends who are no longer with us, walked past Nate's house on the way down to the river, his refrigerator door is wide open (hopefully turned off) and he and his bride are down in Florida enjoying an endless summer, the WB and upper BR are a silt laden mess, and only the hardiest of anglers are still on the water. This is when I become a year older, no it's not my birthday but it's when I put another notch in the tree of life.

The fishing - If this turns out to be my last trip, at least I wasn't skunked. Fished the EB and saw no bugs. Rose three fish, the first two ate and the third refused. Saw a fourth fish rise twice in the seam just downstream from a rock, made a good cast and never got a look. The second fish I landed was a fat 17 inch rainbow that went straight into the backing on his first run. The memory may have to last me until next April. From the EB I drove over to the BR and fished a pool a couple down from where I was last night. Dead doesn't begin to describe the action. Saw nothing except a guy in a pontoon boat (he fished across from me last night) rowing out. We both acknowledged that it was just too nice for pseudos. Drove back to the fishing camp loaded up my gear and headed home. 

If you have an urge for a last trip make sure it's cold, pseudos are no pansy's, the colder the better for them. When I return on the 5th, my rod, waders, and vest will be in the car, if I use them, I'll let you know..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.