It Was A Day That Exceeded Expectations

Was in no hurry leaving Lafayette this morning. Told Jean my plan was to start work on the fence replacement project, that I wouldn't be fishing today, and that my stay would be determined by if, how fast, and how much the rivers dropped. At present, even with today's drops nothing is able to be safely waded.

On the way down I stopped in Deposit and chatted with "Mike the Cop" who was eying Oquaga, which was clear and dropping into a fishable level. Next stop was the Troutfitter where I hoped that a guide had let slip something about a pod of bank sippers that could be reached from shore. No luck there.

Got to the Lordville Estate just before noon, unpacked the car, put stuff away and then attacked the lady bugs that have no problem getting in in the fall but can't seem to find their way out again in the spring. I mean them no harm, but the Eureka Dust Buster takes no prisoners. I emptied the bag outside and some dust coated Lady Bugs were still alive, hopefully they tell their friends to keep away from the LVE. Ate lunch and before you knew it it was 2:00, too late to start on the fence project, so I took a drive.

Stopped at numerous vistas along the river and watched the water rushing by. At 3:00 (the golden hour for Hendrickson's) I had seen nary a Hendrickson nor a rise. Strangely, the rises came first. Had seen a least a half dozen fish rise before I saw the first Hendrickson. Put on my waders and drove along the stream looking for the magic combo (rising fish and a bank where I could cast to them from).

The place where I saw the first risers was out of the question. Found a second place where I had some fish that I could reach from shore. The third place (after two scary crossings of side channels around islands) also got me into fish. It was a C- Hendrickson hatch ((far better than the bugs Mark (my long suffering N.C. friend) and I had last week before the blowout rain)), but still a C- hatch. There were lots of fish up but so was the wind and the water (wading wasn't for sissies).

How'd I do? For sure, much better that  the pics on the DRC's reports. Landed a bakers dozen fish, all two and three year olds until, in a waning hatch, on my way back to the car, I saw a rise and hooked a "wrist stopper", he never left the narrow slot he was in, but jumped four times and measured 19.5 inches. While he was on, a second good fish rose. I kept looking but never saw him rise again, until I had landed the first fish, cleaned the fly and walked back to about where I'd first seen him. As if by magic he rose again, four casts later (remember the wind) he ate. He also measured out at 19.5 inches. Had no trouble crossing the two side channels getting back to the car (I floated on air).

The outlook - Please don't head for the river tomorrow. Yes, the bugs are starting, but there is no water a wade fisherman can safely fish. If ever you've wanted to float, book a trip. If the rivers continue to fall next weekend should be good. The dandelions cover the south facing banks in Hancock but there is nary a one in bloom in anyone's yard. It's still early, just don't tell the fish.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.