Too Much Of Nothin' - - - -

 

It's 6:00 pm on Tuesday night and I sitting out on the back porch with my PC and my PM for the first time this year.  The apricot tree blossoms are done, the plum and peach trees are in full bloom. Only the blossoms on the apple trees and red buds remain closed. The last two mornings we had heavy frost with temps in the high twenties. Not sure what that means for the apricots and plums.

I am expecting company tonight. The last two nights two small does (yearlings I'm sure) showed up, one obviously pregnant, the other not. I was getting a little concerned that I hadn't seen the little yearling buck that was orphaned last year and spent the late summer and early fall bedding down in my flower garden and eating the drops from the peach tree. He also showed up the last two nights. They obviously remember me from last year because when I talk to them they come running right over to the porch expecting me to go out and shake some apples out of the tree.

The blue birds have constructed their nest (I peeked while I was stabilizing the rebar it is attached to, to keep the nest box from swinging around in the wind). Blue birds want the opening of the nest box facing east and they want a perch in front of the box for the male to sing to his nesting mate. Give them those two things and they will take a thirty-four year old, leaky old box instead of the brand new one from Walmart. 

The fishing - I had a really good day, so good that I quit at 3:45 and just drove around checking out hatches, rivers levels, fishermen and drift boats, BUT I'm not going to tell you a single thing about what was happening. Why? Because, with the exception of Ed and Dennis, no one has made a meaningful comment about the fishing (or anything else for that matter), so far this year.  I do my best, but no one can be everywhere every day. Where did you go, what did you see, what was hatching, were any fish rising, how crowded was it, what was the water temp, what was the flow level, did you see any interesting wildlife?  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.