Remember When - - -

 It's 5:55 and the Perfect Manhattan has been poured and the first sip taken. Got in two hours and fifteen minutes of fishing for rising trout feeding on pseudos on the UEB. Before you jump in the car and head up, know that of the ten fish landed, only two were "counters", (over 10 inches). I've been going up there about once a week, it's fun, sharpens your casting skills and is a pleasant way to spend a couples of hours. There are of course big fish in the UEB, but after the drakes are done in early June, they spend precious little time sipping tiny bugs off the surface. It takes a lot of pseudos to provide the nutrients a big trout gets from eating just one of it's great, great grandchildren.

What's happening? There are reports of pseudos up in Deposit, and in the middle portion of the WB. Sightings in the lower section, not so much. I've seen pseudos on the EB, BK, and UEB. If you are hoping to cast at fish feeding on pseudos, look for sippers in the slow water pools. There have been a few isos, mid afternoon on both the BK and EB, so far I've seen a total of four fish rise for them. With the lows dipping into the 30's last weekend the water temps dropped into the 50's and both the Isos and pseudos started hatching mid- afternoon making the brouhaha about how far you should drive for 45 minutes of dry fly fishing, (or five short minutes of lovin'), beyond the pall for the average fisherman, (DFO's may disagree).

The deer, sick of eating apples have disappeared from the back yard. The skunk dug into the ground bee nest twice late last week and extracted the honeycomb, apparently the bee stings are deemed to be the price that must be paid. The lawn needs to be mowed but it's been sopping wet since my arrival yesterday. The hummingbirds left early last week, and the blue birds were around before I cleaned out their boxes. Had to start a fire the last three mornings. With the shortening days, I don't get up in time now to reproof the report while drinking coffee, (instead of the PM), so the grammarian has been busy, and TT, (and my overreaction to the post), generated more interest in the reports than anything I've said or done since back in early August.

Note to Mrs. Haskins, (wherever you may be), was going to make the last paragraph all one sentence just to torment you, but thought better of it. Just to bring you up to date, (in case you haven't been following my new "career"), I'm about to complete my 12th year as a writer, have written two books,(which  grossed enough to buy two new pairs of waders), and 1,563 fishing reports. Have been gifted two bottles of whiskey and two bottles of wine, (for my long suffering wife), in appreciation of my work. Perhaps it's not the career you envisioned for me, but it wouldn't have happened without your encouragement, and it's the best "second career" I could ever have foreseen.  Thanks!     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

Don't let that that rain come down.

I Got This Funny Feeling, That We'll All Get Together Again.