Toads in the road.

After saying goodbye, at the dentist's office, to old #thirty, a molar that had spent its life grinding up anything sent its way, I headed to the river. Decided to fish a pool on the Beaverkill that I have never tried during prime time.  There were a number of trout rising there one day last week but another angler was right in their midst.

This time the pool was vacant when I arrived at six-thirty, so I waded down into the pool.  The pool deepens quickly and has a lot of flat slippery bed rock which limits your ability to move around to get to risers.

As I stood looking for fish, the toads began to sing.  It's a shrill sound but one I love to hear as I associate it with the peak of the big bug season. The sound seemed to come from the side of the river with a very steep bank and I wondered how the toads managed to get down such a steep slope.  Forgot about the toads when a dark cloud rolled over head and a brief shower soaked me (raincoat in the car).

When the shower ended there was a sparse hatch of caddis, sulfurs and a few larger may flies.  What rises there were were mostly one and dones.  I found the fish willing to eat and hooked six, landing but three.   A nineteen inch rainbow that ran deep into the pool (and my backing) was by far the fish of the day.

At dark I waded back up through the riff, got into the car and headed for camp, driving along the high bank where I had been fishing.  It was there that I encountered the toads, hundreds of 'em sitting on the wet pavement singing their song, they hadn't gone down the bank at all..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.