WOW!

From last Thursday until today the flow at Lordville was cut in half (from 2,500 cfs to 1,250cfs).  The high water temp during the same period went from 55 to 65.  With the lower water flows the fish become  concentrated and are more vulnerable to predators.  They are also disturbed more by boats and wade fishermen and are the less likely to eat your fly.

With the higher water temps the day time bug activity has come to a halt.  I fished three rivers (WB, EB, BK) yesterday morning and never saw a bug hatch or a trout rise except for the two that came to my fly.  From five until seven I rose four fish in a run on the lower WB. Again I saw no bugs hatching or trout rising except to my fly.

From seven until dark I fished the big river downstream from the Buckingham takeout.  There was no activity from either bugs or fish until long after the sun went behind the hill.  When the bugs started there were sulfurs with a few green drakes mixed in.  The fish started feeding subsurface and I put a fly patch full of flies over them without getting so much as a refusal.  When it was too dark to see my sulfur more than twenty feet away the fish started taking duns.  I managed  to hook two before total darkness ended my fishing.

If you are planning on coming down under these conditions bring your golf clubs - play eighteen - then go out and see if you can catch one just before dark (don't forget your flashlight).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.