Frontal systems and toads.

Its accepted by anglers almost everywhere that the first day of a high pressure system is a poor day to fish.  Well, this week we had two of  'em.  Monday's got rid of Sundays rain with a wind that exceeded 20 mph not counting gusts.   I drove around  all afternoon and saw nary a riser.

Today started out much warmer than the forecast high of seventy degrees and by 3:30 it had reached 85.  I was doing work around the camp and was surprised when I got in the car for the evening fishing to find the temp down to 73.  In the hour I drove around looking for bugs and rising fish (saw neither) the wind increased and the temp decreased.  When I called it a day at 8:00 pm the temp was 60 and the wind was still blowing.  Never put on my waders.

If you are coming this weekend all streams are now wade able with the big river being the diciest. As stated in my earlier note today the releases have been cut back and unless that changes or there are heavy clouds and/or rain, the fishing will be best just before dark, with early morning the second option.  Mid day is probably a good time to tie flies or take a nap.

Toads!  I know you're interested after last years informative narrative on the BK high bank singers, so here is the latest.  They are on the move, its their time to do their thing.  Drive carefully, they are crossing roads (they are worse at it than porcupines) heading for their favorite spot riverside where they sing their hearts out hoping to attract an equally warty female toad.  Last night sitting on the porch I heard the toads singing for the first time this year.  At my lunch break today they were also in full voice.  Tonight silence.  Perhaps the 26 degree temperature change numbed their vocal chords - - - or perhaps like trout  - - -(never mind).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.