It's not all bad news.

It was just 12 days ago that I was in the midst of rising fish, green drakes and 18 boats.  Just a week ago I saw my last coffin flies of the season. Today I did not see a boat or for that matter another fisherman.  The pictures of "fish of the day" on other sites have been replaced by pictures of the USGS water flow graphs.  Some sites are reporting M-W-F, while other reports have become intermittent or sporadic.

Me?  Happier than a hog in a sty full of slop.  While the river temps are creeping up to the danger zone and some of the river system will soon be off the table,  I have found delightful (and productive) fishing early mornings on the BE and late evenings on the BR.  Olive duns and their spinners have been the catalyst triggering most of the feeding.  The fish are very careful about what they eat but they are feeding and every once in a while they can be fooled.

Not having boats going by with sports throwing at your fish and guides anchoring less than a cast length downstream from you is such a plus that I would gladly cancel my western trip if you could guarantee me water temps at Callicoon  of no more than 68 for the next three weeks. Alas, my euphoria will come to an end probably before I leave for Oregon on the 29th.

What should you do?  If you are not heading out west like many of the Troutfitter regulars, you should plan on being down here by eight in the morning, pick a riff/run on the BE and fish 'till noon.  Eat lunch, take a snooze, tie flies and be ready to do the same on the BR  from seven 'til dark.

Oh, by the way.  If you are looking to sharpen your dry fly skills (you won't do it nymph fishing)  go to any pool on the BE or BR in the early evening and cast at the shad.  They are feeding heavily on top, eat dries, are good sized and pull hard.  Pay attention to the rise forms and you will learn the difference between the shad and the trout (most of the time).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.