Spinner falls on the freestones.

After two days home taking care of chores. I Drove down early and was on the river by 9:30. It looked like a good plan when I hooked my third rainbow in the first 45 minutes. Then things came to a screeching halt. With no bugs or rising fish to be seen, I called it quits about 11:00 and returned to camp.

The next fish I saw was at 4:30, when an unlucky 9 inch brown ate my fly. He was then, in turn, promptly eaten by the second biggest brown I have ever seen in the Delaware River system. Played both fish for about five minutes with the big brown unwilling to give up the meal. When I got her up close enough to reach for her with my net she opened her mouth, let go of the 9 incher and slowly swam away. The nine incher? Seemed no worse for the experience and darted away as soon as I put him back in the water.

Never saw a bug hatch or a fish rise from then until about 8:30 when a sulfur spinner fall got fish rising. Was able to find enough fish willing to eat my fly during the spinner fall to make it a good day.

It was warm (not as hot as yesterday) but with bright sun and an annoying breeze. Fished everywhere but the WB and have never seen fewer bugs hatch or fish rise at this time of year. Judging by the husks on the rocks, isos have been hatching on the BE for over a week. There were coffin flies on the lower BK (all pools taken) and I drove out of them trying to find an empty pool. I had black caddis and the sulfur spinners where I was, which got the fish up.

Tomorrow an all day soaker is predicted. Strange to say, but we can use it. The only bad part is that there is almost no room in the reservoirs before they will start to spill. Based on today it's hard to say where you should fish. If it's overcast and rainy (as predicted) everything will be in play. Sunshine will make it a late evening affair.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.