A better place to be.

Today had possibilities, moderate rain, heavy overcast, cool temperatures - it literally screamed OLIVES!!! And where I fished they came. But first you need to know that I drove from Lordville to Corbett and from Corbett to Deposit, stopping at every known vantage point. I never saw a single fish rise. The best I could do was sit on the Shinhopple bridge and watch cedar waxwings fly out over the water to eat mayflies. The fish below them apparently didn't care as they weren't rising.

At about 4:00 when one of the days many showers let up, there were fish rising in the deep water just above the town bridge in Deposit. Suited up and when I got close enough to see, there were tiny olives all over the water. There were also a few of the larger sulfurs. Waded into the pool above the bridge and - saw no risers. Walked up to the tailout of the upstream pool and got to cast at but three fish. For some reason the trout just weren't interested in the olives. On my way back to the car I looked off the bridge and sure enough the fish there were still eating olives.

Fished at the upper gamelands from 6:30 until dark. There were some bugs and rising fish in the riffles but when I walked upstream to the tailout of the big pool - there wasn't a single fish rising.

It's next to impossible for a person to be in the right place at the right time, even some of the time. There were no other wade fishermen in sight and only two boats came by. It clearly wasn't happening at the gamelands tonight. But, solitude on this river system is a rare treat and there were enough fish willing to eating in the riffles to keep me occupied.

Just maybe I wasn't in the wrong place after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.