It ain't over 'til it's over - thankfully.

Yesterday I walked into a big river caddis hatch just like I knew what I was doing.  The fish were up and there were about two hours of really good fishing.  Today, I knew just what to do.  Back to the big river I went (different pool) and what did I get?  Caddis pupa husks. Not one caddis, not one rising fish.  Drove back to the scene of yesterdays bonanza and found more husks and no rising trout.  If you were real quiet you could hear the trout laughing.

The afternoon wasn't any better. Fished a riff down low on the WB where about ten days ago there were a good number of trout eating caddis. Today - neither caddis nor risers in the hot sun.

Stopped at the Troutfitter Shop in Deposit and chatted with Dave who said that the caddis have been hatching up there nonstop for the last two weeks and that there are both Hendrickson and March Brown duns on the water along with both may fly and caddis spinners.  I may not like to deal with the boat traffic but I'm not totally stupid.  Headed out to fish the WB above Hale Eddy. Got on the water about 6:00 and had rising trout from then until 9:00.  They were eating on top and weren't too fussy about what they ate.

The fishing - The record breaking heat has pushed the hatches of "big bugs" to dark and beyond. The three freestones (BK, BE and BR all flirted with 70 degrees today).  Thankfully the weather is supposed to change with rain tomorrow and a high of 75.  This should result in day time hatches of big bugs all over the place.  The next 7/10 days are your best bet for hooking that lifer brown or 20 inch rainbow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.