It's time for the sulfurs to start doing their thing.

Left my annual eye exam at 3:30 happy with the knowledge that my corrected vision is still 20/15 in both eyes.  Walked out of the office into the bright sunshine with dilated pupils as big as Owl's eyes.  Figured I'd do great about 9:15,  when it got dark and I wasn't far wrong.

Stopped at the Troutfitter in Deposit to catch up with the latest fishing news.  Buckingham was reportedly full of trailers on Sunday. Would like to know how many were taking out there,  how many ventured down to Long Eddy and how they did?

After unpacking, refrigerating my weeks food, hanging up my washed and ironed shirts (thanks Hon), watering the orchids and the newly seeded portion of the lawn, it was 7:00 and I was ready to go fishing.  Saw no boats and only two anglers on the WB from Deposit all  the way down to Hancock.  Decided to go back up, enjoy the solitude and find out why no one was there.

Fished water between Dream Catchers and Hale Eddy from about 7:30 until 9:30.  Never saw another fisherman or drift boat. Can you guess why?  No bugs.  No rising fish.  Yes, I saw some sulfurs, a few isos, olives, at least three different caddis and some spinners. There just weren't enough bugs to get the fish feeding on top.

It had to be 8:45 before I saw the first nose come out of the water and a sulfur disappear.  It's not like there was a plethora of bugs or a real feeding frenzy but for about half an hour I was into rising fish and with so few bugs, a good cast got an eat. There just wasn't enough time (even with my dilated pupils) to catch a lot of fish but it was a very busy half  hour.  Was pleased that I took my time (unlike another recent night) and was careful with the last fish that turned out to be a nice 19 inch brown.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.