Wouldn't have it any other way.

The timing worked out just right.  Left Lafayette at 9:00 which gave me plenty of time to get down to Deposit and find an empty pool in the Sulfur Zone before the hatch.  Turned out the first pool I looked at was empty, suited up and waded in.  As has been the case all year it's either SRO or more pools than fishermen. Today it was the latter.  An old river friend joined me and both of us meandered around the pool as we have many times before.

The sulfurs seem to have settled into a schedule of a midday hatch of two to three hours and then they hatch again in the couple of hours before dark. The midday hatch was very good, lots of bugs and a lot of fish up.  There weren't many big fish feeding on top and the three I did hook all came unstuck, evoking a reference to excrement that all fishermen know and understand on more than one occasion. Did a fairly good job of casting to the two year olds and up but still hooked several of the eight inch yearlings.  Things quieted down about 2:30 and I headed down to camp with the car telling  me it was 96 in Hancock. The camp was a warm 85 and is still above 80 as I am typing.

Mowed the second half of the lawn (did half on Friday), carried water to two of the five new fruit trees and of course watered the orchids. They apparently love the heat as they are growing new leaves, attaching new roots to the planks they are attached to and one even has started a flower spike.

At 6:30 it was time to roll.  Back up to Deposit and this time had to go to two pools as the first one had a boat and wade angler.  It also was covered with sulfurs.  Couldn't see risers from the car, even with binoculars but when the parking lot for the next pool was empty I parked, suited up and walked down to the river.  There was no one there but me, the sulfurs and the trout. If you are going to have a party on the Delaware in July those are the ones to invite (myself excluded). Make no mistake, the fish were still fussy, they had a lot of flies to choose from and mine didn't always sit up as pretty as the others but boy was I into fish (several of them good ones). Until, it started to rain, hard, and the thunder rolled and the lightning struck after I had counted to but two. Said the excrement word again, reeled it in and headed to the car, ending a great day of fishing 45 minutes early.

All my fly boxes are laying open on the kitchen table drying as I type this. The raincoat is in the back of the SUV, bone dry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.