If only my wife would let me fish weekends.

It's the fall solstice, things are changing at a rapid pace. Lordville has had four straight mornings with heavy frosts.  Days are getting shorter by about three minutes a day which doesn't sound like much until you realize you are losing half an hour of daylight every ten days.  I'm reeling it in at seven, just when the fishing was starting to get good about two months ago.  It's a time of transition for me.  Spent the weekend at home putting up tree stands, watching trail cam photos and shooting the new bow.  Even threw in another sunfishing trip. Got some bigger ones this time and hopefully they will  help the lone sunfish in the pond produce food for the bass next spring. 

Got a late start and drove right by Hancock about 2:00 this afternoon in hopes of finding isos and feeding fish and for once I did.  Fished six different pools on the BE, BK and BR and caught trout on four of the stops.  Got to the BR a little later than planned and the shut down was all but complete. The sun was behind the hill, it was cold and the bugs had gone to a warm place only they can find. Made some blind casts and a big brown (19.5 inches) ate my fly.  The brown was easily the fish of a surprisingly good day.

Encountered but two fishermen both of whom had a tale to tell.  The first climbed down an impossibly steep bank that only a fool (me) or a game warden would attempt to descend.  Could see he had waders on and I shouted over to ask him if he was planning to fish there. It's the 21st of September with no one else on the ten miles of BE that I had driven along and I wasn't exactly enthused with the idea of sharing the pool.  He said no, just came down to talk.  Saw my car downstream earlier and wondered how I was doing.  He heard of a great hatch on the UE on Saturday and wondered if I knew anything about it.  Said he drove up there today but there were fishermen everywhere. We exchanged info, pleasantries and wished each other good luck. He then clambered back up the hill and drove off.

The second encounter was at my last stop on the BR where there was one fisherman in the pool. Walked out and asked him how he was doing.  "Not as good as Saturday, it was on fire, had isos from 2:00 'til 5:00.  Fish everywhere. Caught at least a couple dozen."  Walked up above him and crossed over to the PA side so as not to interfere with his fishing and hooked the paragraph two brown.   








































































 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.