I've got better things to do.

Mowing the lawn, painting the storms and tying flies will keep me occupied 'til about seven tomorrow.

If I were to go on a rant again it would be about the weather.  Most people wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about.  Eighty degree days with bright sunshine in September are a beautiful thing, unless you are a trout fisherman.  Last weeks fall fishing, fueled by an all day rain, cloudy days and nights in the low fifties is in the rear view mirror.  Until Friday we are faced with temps ten to fifteen degrees above normal with bright sun and no chance of rain.  If you think that doesn't put the brakes on the fishing, come try it. 

The fishing - The trout had me on the ropes for most of the fight. With the hot temp and bright sun I started out in the coldest water.  Fished the first pool from 2:00 until 5:00, there were a smattering of flies mostly olives with an occasional rising trout.  Rose six fish, none of which ate the fly.  Reeled it in and went farther downstream to a pool where the sun was behind the hill.  Fished from 5:30 until 7:00, again there were some olives, with an occasional iso.  By the time I left there were a few rising fish. Had four more refusals and two eats - lost 'em both.  Drove down to the BR hoping that it wasn't too warm to fish (it was fine where I was). Got in the water at 7:25 and was back in the car at 8:05.  During the time I was in the water I cast at five fish eating spinners.  Three ate and I landed them all (15 to 16 inch three year olds). The other two fish paid no attention to my fly.

If you're here, by all means fish.  If you are thinking of coming, first decide if half an hours fishing is worth the drive, if not wait 'til Friday.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.