The fish that swam away.

 You've all probably heard someone say, "He was bleeding so I kept him.  What's the sense in letting him go when he's gonna die anyway."  Well, I've had three occasions over the years where a trout turned the river red with blood and I think it would be good if you learned the outcome.  The facts in all three cases are remarkably similar so I'll just tell you about the one that happened today.

After suffering through a half a dozen refusals I hooked a really nice rainbow. She never jumped but made three nice runs, the first into the backing, and several darts away before the the netting. When I opened her mouth the size 18 olive was down a gill slit. At the time she was not bleeding.  Got out the clippers and while holding the fish I used the rod to keep pressure on the leader so I could clip the fly off.  Just as I was about to clip the leader the fish thrashed and the result was something like a chainsaw massacre.  By the time I put the fish into the water we were both covered in blood. Held her facing upstream for a few seconds and every contraction of the gills sent another flush of red water downstream.  Let her go and she swam no more than five feet before going belly up.

You need to understand that this is now a rerun of two other movies in which I've played the guy in the black hat. Got her into the net and couldn't detect any sign of life (no I didn't give her artif- - - -).  When I lifted the net up close to the surface I could see a miniscule movement of the gills.  Pointed her head into the current (she was upside down) and waited.  Probably stood there a good ten minutes as the gill movement slowly became more vigorous. Finally she righted herself.  Nose down on the bottom and the tip of the tail out of the water. When she got her tail down level with her body I walked away about ten feet. She then turned over on her side (obviously a relapse).  Before I got to her she righted herself and a few minutes later she swam into deeper water.

Polly Anna says what a wonderful ending.  I'm not sure.  In the ocean she would be some sharks meal within ten minutes but in the BK, if she stays in water deep enough to avoid an eagle or osprey she will probably be OK. Not sure about how long it takes to replace the red blood cells but she was getting enough oxygen to at least swim away. 

The fishing- That was the fish.  A 15/20 mph wind out of the north is no fun to be in and just last week I was bitching about the unending heat.  (The orchids are spending the night in the kitchen sink).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.