A good old fashioned butt kicking.

For those of you who haven't been on the river for the last week or so, know this, the rules have changed and judging by my results today, the fish are just delighted.

Arrived at the fishing camp in time to put the food in the fridge and still be on the water by 9:15.  Tried three pools in two different rivers, saw no bugs, alive or dead and was reeling it in to head home when a hatchery trout started practicing his rises. He was about 100 feet downstream from me and rose two more times before I got close enough to cast. My fly was apparently on his approved list 'cause my index finger went in his mouth right up to the third knuckle getting the hook out.

Spent the afternoon spraying fruit trees, pruning off  branches on the cling peach tree that the deer had pulled down and broken and continued my peach thinning project.

Left the Lordville Estate in time to deliver more copies of "A Season on the Delaware" to Dave at the Troutfitter, thanks to all who have bought a copy.  The madness that was the WB last week seems to have abated somewhat today.  The fishing is tough right now and by the end of the weekend lots of fishermen had found that out.

After the book delivery I checked the water temps and decided to give a freestone a try. Got in the water about 7:30 and had rising fish.  Landed six straight bass (all about six inches long), went one for two on sunfish (not a word of a lie), and easily handled the only fall fish I hooked. The trout? Well, that was a different story. Were there risers, hell yes. The first three I cast to, ate, two broke off when the line got pinched under rocks and one jumped twice and gave me back my fly.  I easily handled both the nine and ten incher, then caught a badly scarred 12 inch rainbow that I caught (no mistaking it) 10 days ago, a quarter mile upstream from where I was fishing tonight. By this time it's about 9:15 and the fish are going everywhere, hooked two more really hot rainbows that ran straight down stream into the pool, well into my backing and - both fish came unstuck. The mercy rule quickly was put into effect by the referee and we played the last five minutes with running time.

How have the rules changed?  For at least the next few days no bugs are allowed to hatch until at least 45 minutes after sunset. The bugs that hatch must fit on a size 16 hook (or smaller), and anglers can not use a flashlight until they have clipped off their fly and waved a white handkerchief indicating that they have been beaten and are ready to reel it in and walk out.

The fishing is just plain tough right now. This can change tomorrow with cooler temps, clouds and an all day drizzle, or it might have to wait for the summer sulfurs to get cranked up. If you come,  know that it probably won't happen 'til very late. Make sure you bring two flashlights and have something to do during the day. 

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.