Pay no attention to rumors, the skunk did not get into my waders today!

In order for the fishing to be good three things have to happen. The fisherman has to be in the right place at the right time. I wasn't. The bugs have to show up via either a hatch or a spinner fall. They didn't. The fish have to rise. They didn't.

Perhaps I was too far downstream for the evening sulfurs (the gamelands) but there were swallows eating spinners way up high before the last rain. 

Based on my effort today I would suggest that days be spent above Hale Eddy. If you want to fish down river do so after seven in the evening. That said I have had good evening sulfurs above Hale Eddy and it's probably the safest bet to fish up there.

The most recent heat wave has put the freestones (BK, BE and BR) on the do not fish list until the fall. Temps in the BE and BK both exceeded 80 this week (The area below Horton Brook on the BK is closed to all fishing until September).  The effort to keep the BR temp at or below 75 at Lordville missed the mark the last two days with the temp at the bridge 76 both days.

The UEB was helped by an infusion of extra release water but the temp at Harvard was at or above 70 three days in a row. It wouldn't hurt to give that river below Shinhopple a rest for a few days. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.