You just never know 'til you go.

Took the obligatory once a week drive to the UEB.  At 2:00 this afternoon there was but one fisherman between East Branch and the Corbett Bridge. Never saw a bug on the water or a fish rise. 

Strange as it may sound after dealing with 90+ degree heat all week, I felt, with the heavy overcast, that the water up in Deposit would be too cold to get the sulfurs hatching, so I looked downstream for warmer water and bugs. Found them both along with rising fish from 3:00 until 9:00. 

After yesterdays dismal one fish performance, it felt good to get my mojo back. Aside from hooking  an olive into the back of my raincoat, a sulfur into my right cheek and stabbing myself in the hand with the needle like fastener of the zinger when it tried to escape from my vest, everything went my way. Put the raincoat over the fishing vest for a change (good decision) and was warm and comfortable all day. It rained for all but about an hour of the time I was in the water but it was a fisherman's rain, a light drizzle with no downpours, hail, wind, lightning or thunder. Only two boats went past me and I saw but one fisherman, a river friend Mike, who wasn't even fishing. Mikes been on the river longer than I have and we are both a tad bit hard of hearing. Our attempts to converse with the river noise make a strong case for everyone learning sign language. We usually both point to our ears, shrug our shoulders, smile and go back to fishing.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, the river (WB) has more fish in it than I've ever seen. Some days you pick the roses, some days you get stuck by the thorns but every day is a chance to have good things happen and today was one of the good ones. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.