At least I'll have time to tie some new flies.

Back home waiting for carpet installers to show up.  After almost forty years even I had to admit the wall to wall carpet needed replacing in the den.  An air conditioner installer is also coming to give us a quote on a mini split system for the den and upstairs bedroom. Busy day.

Was able to drive down early Saturday morning and fish a long stretch of the lower WB that I make a point of hitting at least once a year.  Was on the river about 9:30 and didn't get back to the car until 3:00.  It wasn't because it was so good that I stayed so long, but because I was sure the bugs would get going, they never did. Saw but three fish rise at anything but my fly the whole time I was there.  Most surprising thing was the absence of boats. Usually by about noon the boats start to show up. I saw two go by me in the five hours I fished. The evening fishing (also on the lower WB) was condensed into an hour and  half. Sulfurs came first then a short but concentrated dose of spinners. When the spinners came you could hear the fish start to gulp. They weren't the least bit fussy about what they ate either.

We are between the glut of big bugs and the predictable steady hatches of July and August in the "Sulfur Zone". The crowds have started to thin, many of the guides are moving on to Montana and Alaska,  and the mid day fishing has become something of a slog.  Mornings can be productive with spinners and caddis, mid day can be good if you locate some spring sulfurs but the best fishing is from when the sun goes behind the hill until dark.  Make no mistake about it, you earn your fish right now. i

Have several questions to answer and may well write a second page if the carpet instillers are late showing up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.