Who wants to go to an orgy anyway?

 Had a day worth talking about, at least if you are interested in the comings and goings of  our local wildlife. Was in the BR this morning wondering where the bugs were and when they were going to show up (they didn't) when I spotted something swimming across the river at me.  Turned out to be a squirrel.  I think one of the Jims saw one last year.

 Andy B's glowing report of an upriver fish catching bonanza, which was backed up by similar  accounts from two Troutfitter regulars sent me up river about 2:00 to see if I too could partake in a fish catching orgy (at 79 it's the only orgy I'm likely to participate in).  On the way, in downtown Hancock, in mid afternoon, a doe was waiting patiently to cross the road just  before the rte. 17 bridge  underpass where you get on 17 heading west to Deposit. Thought to myself at the time, another yearling and it isn't going to end well. What didn't end well was the afternoon fishing, no bugs and no risers. 

Pulled the plug and headed for the Lordville Estate at about 4:15 and in the triangle formed by the Hancock exit ramp, route 17 and the Hancock on ramp heading east was, (I assume), the doe I had seen on the outbound trip, nursing her fawn. They were not 30 feet from me, in the tiny triangle of roads that no self respecting bear or coyote would ever think of venturing into. Just hope the little guy stays put between feedings.

Heading up Lordville road on the way out for the evening fishing, I saw a doe with her two fawns race across the road in front of a car coming down the hill going way too fast. On the way home in the dark driving down Lordville road, I never encountered a single car.  What I did see, however, was one porcupine waddling slowly down the right hand side of the road, two rattlesnakes busy soaking up the heat from the pavement and a yearling deer waiting patiently for me to go by before she crossed.

The fishing ? Better to ask Andy and the two TroutFitter regulars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.