Do they still call it the corn field pool?

Needed a break from the Sulfur Zone so I did a split day. Tried to time my morning streamside arrival on the upper BR to coincide with the trico spinner fall.  There were a few tricos around but they never got the fish going. When I arrived the fish were practicing their splashy caddis rises.  I knew they were just practicing because there were no caddis to be seen. Usually an occasional caddis will emerge from one of the rise forms (the trout missed it) or you will see caddis in the air. This morning, nothing to be seen but splashy rises. The trout refused or ignored most of my offerings. Caught fish on a caddis, a spinner and an olive but none of the above was the answer. The good news was that there were lots of one and two year old rainbows up feeding. This bodes well for the future of the rainbow population in the BR.

Returned to the fishing camp in time for a late lunch, did a couple of sudokus, a crossword puzzle, tied a few flies and maybe shut my eyes for a minute or two. Awoke refreshed enough to walk over to the other side of the railroad tracks and do battle with the giant ragweed that is attempting to block my view of the river. 

By 4:30 I was ready to tackle the Sulfur Zone.  Was surprised by the lack of both boats and anglers.  There were fewer boats yesterday but the angler drop-off  today was a surprise. My GHOF got into an "A" spot for the early sulfurs and had it to himself. I had more of the Zone to choose from than I knew what to do with.

The fishing - Wow,  just wow, it just doesn't seem to end. There are fish everywhere and they are big. The sulfurs were tardy getting started (this season) but the hatch now starts noonish (depending on water temps) and seemingly doesn't stop. Yes, it slows down, but there are always bugs and a few trout rising to eat them. The last two days I have waited for the early afternoon hatch to be over before I even started fishing. Most of the fishermen are taking a break and I get my pick of spots.. The results, for me, have been delightful. 

Late in the evening I wandered down the trail from the Men's Club parking lot all the way to the big pool below Danaghers. Haven't fished it in twenty years. Saw some good trout feeding, mostly on sulfur nymphs, got in the water and hooked and landed a nice one  that was eating duns. With no other heads coming out of the water I reeled it in and walked back to the car with a big smile on my face.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.