Thank the Lord for the Nighttime, forget the days - - -

 With the weekend coming up it's time to take a look at where you should be and just as importantly when you should be there.

Mornings - If you enjoy solitude this is the time to be on the river. Historically, I've done well fishing some of the areas where the water just gets too warm later in the day. Fish are always looking to eat, spinners, caddis, small olives and yes, tricos are on the menu.  Pick a spot away from the crowds, enjoy the beauty of early morning on the river and maybe catch a fish or two.

Midday - So far this year I'm the last person on the planet to be giving advice on where to find the midday sulfurs. If you were to ask me where to fish, the best I can say is don't go where I go. Haven't been in one good afternoon sulfur hatch yet this year.  Yes, I've seen sulfurs and some feeding fish but nothing to compare to the evening action. Are the sulfurs hatching mid day? Well, on several occasions the water where I am fishing has been filled with empty sulfur nymph husks drifting downstream from a hatch taking place above where I'm fishing.  Drift boaters coming by say they have had lots of sulfurs and rising fish (the reported  hours of the hatch start have ranged from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm), and the location of the mythical hatch has varied widely.  By all means be on the water and if you find them catch some fish for me.

The evenings - As disappointing as the two M's have been for me, it just doesn't seem to matter where I go at 7:00 pm, there are bugs, rising fish and lots of them are happy to eat my flies. No one needs to lie about how big the fish are. In all my years on the river I've never seen anything like it. Fish under 15 inches are a rarity. I'm not sure how far below Hale Eddy you should go but everywhere from there up has been on fire as long as the water temp is up around 50 degrees. If you detect a surge or it's been a cool cloudy day you should definitely reel it in and move downstream to warmer water as the hatch is quite likely to shut down early (or worse yet never get started).  As I've said numerous times bring a flash light (or two) and stay late. A 9:30 arrival back at your car is about right. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.