Someone say grace.

 Tuesday's gusty winds made presentation of a dry fly problematical. On some casts my fly was windsurfing past the bubbles on the water, on others it seemed to be moving upstream as the bubbles sped by it going downstream.  The trout weren't bothered by the wind one bit and were happily feeding on all sorts of things. Do any of you ever stare at the water right in front of you for a few minutes? There was a sulfur nymph husk every six inches at one point. There were also olives served up both medium and small, and all sorts of tiny, tiny little living creatures. When the sulfur hatch waned two things happened, Adrian floated by and the fish just kept on feeding. In fact there was a noticeable increase in the surface feeding activity. 

The fishing?  Fair weather fishermen and novices did not  fare well.  Two young fishermen were about a hundred yards below me. They were enthusiastically throwing bobbers at rising fish.They waded out deeper and deeper as the fish moved to keep out of range. So wanted one of them to hook up but it wasn't to be. Upstream a drift boat was launched but the anglers stayed on a gravel bar for hours  and threw flies at fish in a narrow channel where so many fish were rising it looked like a localized rainstorm. When they finally got in the boat they rowed fifteen feet behind me and cut out into the water I was fishing.The guy in the bow was casting into the fish I was fishing to, both upstream and downstream from me. The one good thing about their departure was the silence that ensued. The boat didn't have an arrow head on the side and the behavior was so far from the way guides are treating waders that I assume it was a boat owner who didn't know any better.

Left for the fishing camp about 5:30 and set out again for a downstream location shortly after seven. The wind was still blowing but was more manageable. Saw a few olives hatching and the fish that rose all gave me a look. If I hadn't lost half the fish I hooked it would have been a great evening.

The food continues to be placed on the table and the fish continue to eat. What happens next, depends on you.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.