Sometimes you have to put in the hours.



The combination of higher water levels, which covered streambed rocks and the dense smoke from the Canadian fires which muted the sun's water warming effect, have kept the freestones in play and I decided to try to take advantage of the opportunity in my quest of a ten fish day.

The morning - Fished two pools on the BK. The path to the first pool was so grown over I had a hard time even finding it. Waded out into a pool that obviously hadn't been fished in weeks and was refused by the first four fish I rose (two of which were good ones). Then settled down and proved to be a master at getting a fly into the tiny little mouths of yearling fish (three rainbows and one brown). Total catch was two two year old browns. Second pool had some rising fish and I landed a couple of 14 inch rainbows along with two more two year old browns. Three hours of fishing and six fish landed (I don't count yearlings). 

The afternoon - Was spent tying flies, doing a crossword and maybe just shutting my eyes (they were burning from the smoke) for a minute or two.

The evening - Fished a run on the EB that I haven't visited since last year. The well worn trail said others have endeavored to keep the fish on their toes. Fished from 5:45 until 8:00 when everything came to a halt. There were isos hatching and fish rising when I got there and the fish were seemingly happy to eat my flies. Ended up landing six mostly three year old fish. A 17 inch rainbow beat out a 16 inch brown for fish of the day. Lost two large, hot rainbows at the end of the day and maybe muttered "excrement" on the second one.

Planned to end up at either  junction pool (no fish rising there) or at the Lordville riff (five fishermen there) but was happy enough with the days effort to park the car, take off the waders, go into the camp and make a Perfect Manhattan.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.