Tough fish and soggy flies bring week to an end

 

My get up and go got up this morning but it didn't go anywhere. Been down here since Sunday afternoon and found that I was in no hurry to get out fishing. Didn't cross many items off the to-do list either. Did wash the sliders in the kitchen that look out on the back yard and spent a little time at the tying bench but really just took it easy.

At about four I drove up the PA side of the river again. It is a waste of time because I know what I'm going to find, wade fishermen everywhere and boat trailers too numerous to count at every launch / takeout spot from barking dog down to Buckingham. Have not fished anywhere in the area since my friend Mark from N.C. was here. The fishing must be good 'cause DRC continues to show picture after picture of fish caught by their sports.

My GHOF has been down for a few days and we have, for the most part enjoyed good fishing in relative solitude. Today was the first day I shared a pool with anyone this week and I think it's the first time a fisherman has seen me catch a fish in at least two weeks.

 With gray skies and an occasional sprinkle I put my raincoat on under my fishing vest (long time readers know what happened), it rained, quite hard where we were. It wasn't supposed to, and I was in the middle of the stream when the rain hit, and my fly boxes are once again laid out drying on the kitchen table. The water logged vest, which weight an extra ten pounds, is hanging from a cabinet door, and dripping into the sink. It rained steadily for over two hours where I fished. The Lordville Road was bone dry on my drive back.  

The fishing - For my GHOF it was terrific, isos hatching and big rising fish willing to eat them. Me? Not so good, a couple miles away on a pool which apparently receives a tad more pressure, the isos hatched and floated unmolested down the river. My fly patch had fourteen different flies on it and if Dennis was fishing today I'll match his refusals with mine for a beer at the Hancock Hotel. It wasn't until the last half hour that I was able to get the fish to eat what I put before them (they must have learned something about refusals from Ed Smith).   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.