Yes those are Green Drakes you are seeing in the "Sulfur Zone".

First order of business - An apology to anyone who gave up a day of fishing in the "Sulfur Zone" on my say so. The river cleared by morning and the entire "Sulfur Zone" was in good shape. I try, but I'm obviously not always right.

The mid-day sulfurs are going with greater consistency and are numerous enough that the fish are once again feeding on them. Todays hatch started before my 12:30 arrival and went until about 3:00.  There were lots of feeding fish where I was but not many of the big boys were up. Hooked a big rainbow right off the bat and he came unstuck on the fourth jump. Not five minutes later I hooked and landed a 15 inch bow. After that things quieted down. Most of the fish feeding on top in the bright sun were two and three year olds (11/16 inches) and that's what I caught. After working in the yard in the morning it was just delightful to be standing in the cold water casting at rising trout.

The real fishing - It didn't start until after 7:30. There were sulfurs hatching in the fog but most were ignored by the fish until after 8:00. As the hatch of sulfurs increased the place came alive with feeding fish. I made the decision to fish a pool when I saw four or five fish working in a hundred yard stretch of water. When things got going there were that many fish within fifty feet of me and most of them weren't the least bit fussy about what they ate as long as the fly was in their feeding lane.

The weekend (and beyond) - The forecast is for scattered thunderstorms tomorrow as a "cold front" moves in. The temps are predicted to be in the 70's all of next week. If the system doesn't get hit with a gulley washer tomorrow, the next week or so should be good fishing. The afternoon sulfurs are hatching. With the bright sun, the fish are very hard to fool and the big fish are mostly waiting until near dark to feed. If you come you just plain need to stay and fish until dark. Why? The last hour of daylight is easily the best fishing of the day. It has the most consistent hatches and the big fish are up and feeding. I'm not in the business of renting rooms, but get one sometime in the next week, you won't be sorry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.