The USWNT and Netherlands played to a 1 - 1 tie.

 

With rain predicted for most of Thursday I decided to take care of some outside work this morning. Tied some flies and by noon I was ready to go. Decided to take a look at the UEB and see if there were any sulfurs up above Corbett. Got as far as the Sunoco Station in East Branch and was surprised to find the river muddy. Apparently it got hit by a thunderstorm around midnight which raised the level at Harvard to 400cfs. A nice fishing level - if - the water was clear. Scrubbed the drive up rte.30 and headed for Deposit where I planned to fish in the evening. Made arrangements with the proprietor of the Troutfitter Inn for a two hour room rental after fishing (promised I wouldn't dirty the sheets) and at 4:00 I went fishing. 

There were a few sulfurs still/already (take your pick) hatching and a corresponding number of rising fish. Had no trouble getting rising fish to come up and look at my flies but getting them to eat was difficult as usual. After an hour or so both the hatching and feeding picked up and I saw more good fish feeding. They continued to be willing to look at my fly and a few even ate it. It was then that the algae came into play. Whenever I hooked a good one, downstream he went where he acquired an ever increasing glob of the slimy green stuff on both the leader and his nose. The results became predictable as I lost seven seemingly good sized fish while landing two seventeen inchers. As the hours went by more and more fish were eating duns with the action peaking around eight. When the bugs slowed down the fish that were still rising were much more willing to eat my flies. Was able to land enough two and three year old's to make it a really enjoyable five hours of fishing. 

Quit at 8:55 so I could take full advantage of the two hour room rental.         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.