A rational explanation escapes me.

 Yesterday after driving up and down the "Sulfur Zone" in the afternoon without seeing bugs or rising fish, I headed back to Lordville without even putting my waders on. Headed out again at 6:00, got into the river around 6:30 and had two hours of delightful dry fly fishing to medium sized fish eating duns in a good sulfur hatch.

Today, I made the trip up to deposit at about 1:30 figuring the cloud cover would delay the hatch (if any), it did, but by 2:30 the afternoon sulfurs were going and the fish were up and on them. Enjoyed about two hours of good fishing with four decent fish hooked and landed, two yearlings landed and a passel of refusals. About 4:30 the rise forms changed to boils and my fly was ignored. Tried half a dozen flies without so much as a look from the still feeding fish.

Was happy with the afternoon fishing, (a big step up from Sunday), and at 5:00 it was too late to drive all the way back to Lordville. Decided to get something at Wendy's (calorie capital of Deposit). Got flustered again when asked for my order and had to use a time out as several items on the menu were no longer offered. Opted for the 10 piece McNuggets with sweet and sour sauce, a medium fries and a medium coke combo. Got no catsup and without it, the fries were inedible. The diet coke filled my bladder and back washed my kidneys (a good thing, I think), but it required a couple extra lowering's of the waders.

With the meal out of the way there was little else to do but drive from pool to pool looking for the evening sulfurs - that never hatched (at least below Oquaga). Never saw a rise. Did hook two 18 inch class fish (lost them both on the retrieve from their downstream algae gathering escapades). In short, the evening was as bad as yesterday's afternoon hatch and the afternoon hatch wasn't quite as good as yesterdays evening hatch.

You figure it out. Me, I'm hoping to get on different water asap.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!