I Think I'm Going To Sprinkle Some Yeast On The Water.
Spent Sunday at Saratoga watching the races with a neighborhood friend from back in 4th grade. His horse did not do well but we had a delightful day, toured the barn where his group of owners has a half dozen horses stabled. Scratched a few muzzles just in case they go on to be famous, toured the museum, and won the last two races to cut my gambling loss for the day to $3.00.
Was on the road this morning by 8:30 and mowing by 11:30. Had to prop limbs on the fruit trees, pick a few of the ripe peaches, water the reseeded areas of the lawn and it was 2:00. Ate lunch, sat back and let the world go by until 4:00 when I got in the car and made a lackluster attempt at fishing. There were almost no fishermen on the river. Either they're at the State Fair or they agree with my assessment of the fishing.
Stopped at two places on the BK, two on the WB, and one on the BR. Here's what I saw.
The bugs - There were tiny olives hatching in good numbers on both the WB and the BR, there were also some olives you could imitate, (a few), saw iso husks on the rocks on a BK pool that weren't there last week, (but never moved a fish), saw an iso and two cahills on the WB, (first cahills I've seen this month), saw a few white flies and two hebes, (along with the olives), on the BR.
The fishing - I've never carried two rods to the river to fish. Today I did. My 8 foot 4 weight Winston and a spinning rod built to stop a freight train. Never saw anything rise anywhere until a 16 inch rainbow came up and ate a blind cast on the BR.
The spin fishing left something to be desired, but I'm learning. Carried the rod, (heavier than a dead minister), to two places where I've had encounters with striped bass. Did nothing at the first stop, (maybe too early as they are night feeders). The last stop was more interesting. Made about fifteen casts with no results, (I even looked for fish following the lure in), and then I got a hit, it was a good fish but I knew right away it wasn't what I was after. Turned out to be a 17 inch smallmouth that jumped several times before I was able to get him into some quite water which is where I saw that he was being followed by the striper. The striper saw me and darted away, I towed the bass to shore where I gingerly extracted hooks from several parts of his body and let him go, (am putting a pair of hemostats and my box of white flies in my vest tomorrow).
Note - Found a nice net on my journeys today. If you lost it, just let me know when, where and what make, and we'll get it back to you.
Comments
Post a Comment