You Know If He's Hungry, He Can Dance.

The local skunk is persistent if nothing else, shows up most nights to dine on the grubs that seem to enjoy eating the roots of my yard grass. Last week he found what turned out to be a large ground bee nest. Apparently decided that the trade off of stings for honey was worth it 'cause he came back twice leaving a hole Caitlin Clark could  bury a basketball in, from the railroad tracks. He followed me around all day today and at about six o'clock when a nice rainbow came unstuck he began his dance.

How'd it happen? That's what I'm trying to figure out. Saw rising trout in more places than I have since I left the Sulfur Zone in mid August. Cast to a pod of about a dozen fish in a slow water pool in the BK for over an hour, got half a dozen refusals, and enough ignores that, if they were dollar bills, would have made a substantial dent in the national debt. What were they eating? Swear to God, nothing. Stared at the water running by me, nothing, watched a very very few pseudos float by the fish, within inches of their noses unmolested. I was entertained, frustrated and eventually a little pissed off. Tipped the fedora, reeled it in and drove down to the EB where at a prime pool, I watched the water go by for a good ten minutes without seeing a fish rise, or a bug in the air or on the water.

 Stopped further down river and saw Hebes in the air and fish rising in a pool where I haven't seen a trout since back in early June. Somewhere between the BK and the EB, the sun began to shine, and I shed one shirt, (remember that, it becomes relevant later). Waded in and my wake put the one fish in casting range down.Waded to water more suited to both my wading and casting abilities and saw a young couple drive an ATV down to the river and unload both stuff for a streamside dinner and their fishing equipment. They waved, I waved and said, "I'll be out of your way in a minute". It was then that I saw the three rising fish. Made decent casts at all three fish with my "model perfect Hebe", and got nary a look, tipped my hat again and went around the bend into shadows where I couldn't see a thing, felt for my clear glasses and realized that they were in the right front pocket of the discarded shirt back in the car.

 Fished my way back towards the car getting a refusal on the Hebe and then a take on an olive from a nice rainbow that swam right over to me, shook his head twice and gave me back my fly. Saw three fish, an easy cast away, jump half way out of the water several times each. Would have been more excited but saw the same act on the BK and EB a couple, three weeks ago. None of the three gave my fly a look. Walked the rest of the way back to the car, had a nice chat with the tenant of the land I crossed to fish, (neither he nor the landowner care if fishermen access the river there), and learned that he has been catching sunfish, rock bass and eels in the river all summer. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

I Got This Funny Feeling, That We'll All Get Together Again.

Don't let that that rain come down.