It's good to be on the river again.

 It's been 10 days since I last was at the Lordville Estate.  I try to schedule appointments and meetings during the fall archery season as I am more likely to be home. Took care of most of the items on the list, cut up two of the trees that had blown over during the high winds two weeks ago but did not yet kill a buck.  Had a one horned crotch horn walk out in front of me opening day and I gave him a pass. Have not seen a deer since. What I have seen, however, is an array of bucks using my two trail cams for selfies.  Every night at least one (last night three) shows up and poses between the hours of 9:00 pm and 5:30 am.  Hopefully they get overconfident during daylight hours next time I'm up in a tree.

Arrived in Lordville at 12:15, had lunch, got the front and two side yards mowed (they were the ones with the leaves) before the rain, put on a new tippet and went fishing. Stopped on the Lordville Bridge and it was obvious that the fish had not waited for me to be seated before starting to eat. The pool below the Lordville Bridge had at least a dozen risers as did every slow water pool I could get a good look at on the way up river. There was a boat in the Lordville riff, trailers everywhere from Balls Eddy down and at least one fisherman in most pools.

Stopped at Junction Pool, there were two cars with both fishermen upstream. Fish were rising the entire length of the pool. "Don't leave rising fish," is a mantra you've heard from me before.  It is good advice but not necessarily always the solution to the dilemma of where to fish. The Junction Pool fish are good, they know all the flies by name, they have to eat and they make mistakes but not many. Knowing that fish were rising the length of the river from Lordville to Junction I should probably have gone to a place less fished. But I didn't. In two hours of casting at rising fish in a slow water pool I hooked six fish and landed four. The days catch was modest but the hourly catch rate was good - so was being back on the river.

To those still in the market for some dry fly action. Pick a calm day, fish size 20 olives in slow water pools (avoid the WB at current high levels), use six or seven x tippet and fish from 2:00 until they stop rising (usually about 5:00).   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.