Two strikes and you're out in fall fishing.

 

Left Lordville early this morning and drove to Syracuse to get my flu shot and archery equipment.  Have seen more deer in downtown Lordville in two days than I have in three weeks in Lafayette. Might just hunt here. Drove back and spent the early afternoon crossing items off items on the camp close down list and sighting in the pins on the new bow.

Found the fish  rising again below the Lordville Bridge so I decided to give them a try. Not a good idea. The shore is lined with knotweed and the water near shore is deep and muddy.  When I got down to the risers I couldn't get out far enough to reach them and had to slog back upstream through the mud.  Went up to the riff where there was a mix of pseudos and winged carpenter ants on the water.  Saw but one fish rise and was unable to get it to come to my fly. Hooked and landed an 11 inch brown on a blind cast.

Drove over to the BE and gave one of the pools in the lower river a try.  Again there were pseudos and winged carpenter ants.  Saw a good dozen fish rise (once each) but only a couple of them were feeding on top, the rest were boils where the fish ate something subsurface. After two fish refused my offering, a 16 inch rainbow that I had seen eat two pseudos duns came up and ate mine and took off on a run that went 20 feet into the backing. Rainbows in the Delaware are something special!

Was disappointed with today's fishing which might have had more to do with my choice of spots than anything else. Temp is predicted to be in the 70's tomorrow.  I have no idea what effect it will have on the pseudo fishing but I think I'll try getting on the river a little earlier.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.