Does Cortland's "Ultra Premium" Fluorocarbon tippet break in the cold?

Returned to the "Lordville Estate" this AM after watching granddaughter #3 (ranked by age) play a JV lacrosse game. The rules for girls lacrosse are from the stone age and don't begin to take into account the athleticism and physicality that the girls bring to the game today. Change the rules give 'em helmets and pads and let them play. As the recipient of a yellow card (never be the one to throw the second punch) I'm sure #3 would agree.

Stopped at the Troutfitter in Deposit on the way down where I learned that they were sold out of "A Season On The Delaware".  Reordered more copies and will drop off a few copies from my inventory tomorrow.  Thanks to everyone who has purchased one (perhaps, like the Edsel) it will be a collectors item someday.

Was watching an eagle out the camp window as he made strafing runs at a pair of Mergansers on the river when I saw a splash just down stream. Watched, through the binoculars, a good fifty hard splashy rises on the far side of the river in what was very slow water. Fifteen minutes later I had walked across the bridge, climbed down the bank and stood on shore not 15 feet from where the rises occurred, not a rise to be seen. Walked upstream100 feet and fished to two fish feeding on (not a word of a lie) Little Sister Sedge.  Hooked both fish, landed the rainbow but lost the brown right at the net.

The afternoon and early evening was spent casting at rising fish feeding on an array of flies (Sulfurs on both the UEB and WB, March Browns, Gray Foxes, olives and sulfurs on the BE, Little Sister Sedge on the BR and Isos on the BK. Broke off 5 fish today which I think is more than I've broken off all year. Caught one of the fish about an hour later and got my fly back. Also got someone else's fly out of the mouth of an 18 inch brown. Caught some nice fish but didn't seem to have any pop on my fastball and my fielding certainly left a lot to be desired.

Fire is going in the stove and every fly box is once again open and drying out on the kitchen table.   

Comments

  1. Cortland Ultra Premium fluoro in 6x is all I use now for my dry fly tippets - I have not had the issue of breaking off fish that you referenced. Maybe its just a bad spool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cortland Ultra Premium fluoro in 6x is all I use now for my dry fly tippets - I have not had the issue of breaking off fish that you referenced. Maybe its just a bad spool.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.