It's got to be the goin' not the getting there that's good.

Yesterday I spent the day mostly just driving around.  Most parts of the river were to high to wade effectively, some had too many boats and the BK had too many fisherman.  It was nobody's loss but mine.  I'd been spoiled.  From the time I got here until last Thursday, I could fish wherever I wanted, boats were limited by the low water.  There were bugs hatching with fish up eating them. The worm has turned.  Boats can go anywhere they want and waders are limited.  The freestones have entered the doldrums.  The Hendricksons are hatching on the WB and the UEB and they are both too high to wade confortably (safely).

Today I stopped whining and just fished.  The BK is at a nice wading level. The Hendricksons are waining, the Apple caddis are now above Horton and with todays rain and cool temps they never made an appearance.  Most of the weekend warriors have departed, leaving still, a plethera of grumpy old men.  I picked a pool that I have never fished before, made the quarter mile walk up stream to it and shared it with another GOM who was the only other angler in the pool.  We spent about three hours trying to catch the few fish (mostly stocked) that were feeding on the mix of bugs willing to brave todays weather conditions.  They had all been fished to before, knew the game and were not about to be someone's patsy.  Between the two of us we landed six fish.  My best (and the only wild fish I caught) was a 18.5 inch brown.

If you're coming to fish:  The boats rule.  If you have one, bring it.  If you have money, hire a guide.  The wading is limited and will be for the next few days, even without more rain.  Wade fishermen will earn every fish they catch. The guides aren't even trying to hide the smirks as they float by.

Me?  I still had fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.