Love fishing in high water.

With all river flows out of my comfort zone, it was an easy decision to go home and spend  time with my wife. When the weather prediction for the next few days called for reduced wind, warming temps and no rain, my wife "suggested" that we do the shopping for the new couch that is to go in her "Fem Den" yesterday afternoon, so I could, "get an early start in the morning".  I obliged, we did and then I did.  Was on the road by 9:15 this am.

The streams were still very high but the big bug season is well underway I wanted to fish.  Had not a clue where to go until I checked the the stream flows and found that the Pepacton release had been cut way back and that the UEB was wadeable  Make no mistake, there were drift boats, lots of them, there were a few wade fishermen too but you could get in the water, there were bugs (apple caddis) and there were rising trout (FYI there was also a sneaky upstream draft).  From 1:30 until 4:00 there were bugs (always caddis and then a modest hatch of Hendricksons).  But when the wind blew the fish would stop rising.  It got cloudy and even sprinkled. I got cold and left.

Stopped at the Bk (it really doesn't fish well at 800 cfs), tried it for a few minutes, saw a few March Browns, no risers and left.

Headed for the WB, high water and all, hoping for a huge caddis spinner fall and got it. Never wading far from shore or into deep water, I had rising fish (and boats) galore. The water was covered with caddis egg layers but it wasn't until I put on a ________________ spinner (Dennis if you are reading, please fill in the blank) that the fish would eat. Reeled it in at 8:30 with a grin hooked from ear to ear.

If you go, wade carefully, stay close to shore (it's where the fish are) and don't take foolish chances.  The action is in the WB and the UEB, both are full of bugs, boats and big fish. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

All my life's a circle.

A rational explanation escapes me.