Maybe tomorrow - - -

 It's Sunday evening, a time when I'm usually home with my wife. Tonight, I'm down at the fishing camp.  Why?  The stars aligned. The USGS gage at Hale Eddy reported the flow at 1,900 cfs, (below  my personal 2,000 cfs cut off point for wading the WB).  The weather forecast was predicting an all night rain of about 3/4 of an inch (which will probably send me home again tomorrow morning).  Rumors were being circulated by driftboaters of their hammering of the fish on great Hendrickson hatches on the WB the past few days.

Left about ten this morning, which gave me time to unload at the camp, turn on the heat and then head back up to the WB.  Arrived about 1:00 to find apple caddis hatching (without a hint of sunshine).  It took a few minutes to see risers.  Even the caddis emerger rises (normally splashy and easy to see) looked like the trout were smoking weed. They just knew. The Hendrickson hatch built up slowly, as did the fish's feeding,  By about 2:30 there were so many Hendricksons on the water that you had less chance of a fish taking your fly than you did getting hit by the China's rocket on reentry.  There were fish (almost all big ones) gulping mouthfulls of Hendricksons everywhere.

The fishing?  Not as bad as you might think.  It was a Hendrickson day for sure, gusty up stream wind and cloud cover that made it difficult to find your wind blown fly.  But before the hatch got into full swing and in the rain after the hatch started to wane, a well placed fly had a decent chance of a fish taking a look (and a lot of them that looked, ate).

Would drive down and back every day for fishing like today, but I'm still hoping that, just maybe I'll still be able to get in the WB tomorrow.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

All my life's a circle.

A rational explanation escapes me.