A chance to fish outside the zone.

It's four am in the morning.  Was just awakened by a tractor trailer backing down the road outside the bedroom window.  Warren Road is a dead end and there is no place on it for a big rig to turn around. Went to bed early as once again the power was out here in Lordville when I returned from fishing.  Thankfully there was still ice for the Perfect Manhattan!

Got busy with chores around the camp yesterday and didn't leave for fishing until after 3:00.  It did occur to me that, with severe thunderstorm warnings until six, my departure made little sense.  The radar seemed to give us a chance of having the storm go by to the north but by the time I got to Deposit there were dark clouds in the west. The river wasn't crowded but there were boats and waders in every one of the "Sulfur Zone" hot spots. Put on the waders and tried a place I've been unable to fish during the high water.  Wanted to see if I could cross at the current water level. It's better to find out in the daylight than to get into trouble crossing in the dark. With thunder rumbling and dark clouds coming over the hill I just beat the rain getting back to the car. Joined three other Troutfitter regulars sheltering  at the fly shop where Dave graciously allowed us to stay until almost 6:00 when the rain finally let up.

The fishing -  It was of course foggy after the rain but I saw rises almost as soon as I got in the water.  There was a decent hatch of sulfurs that should have gotten the fish going. At times there would be a flurry of feeding and then nothing. Refusals outnumbered takes by about three to one but there were enough fish willing to try my fly to make it enjoyable.  By 8:00 with bugs still on the water the fish just quit and so did I.

The rain did little to water levels and with the predicted cooler temps for the rest of the week the entire river system is now in play. With the reservoirs brim full, a big rain could change things but right now everything is wadeable and I will be happy to fish outside the "SZ" for a change.       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had To Get Out The Neosporin For The Tooth Cuts On My Index Finger.

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!