I wanna know right now, before we go any further - - -

 First of all, an up date on the fox situation. Have never in the 32 years I've owned the camp, seen so many foxes. Either they have learned that scavenging along highways is easy pickins or they are just doing well. Friday night I saw one on the Equinunk to Lordville road and then encountered the Lordville fox out on the bridge. He ran to the side, thought about jumping, then ran to the other side and then ran ahead of me off the bridge. Which brings me to the rte. 97 cripple. Hadn't seen him for what must be a month, feared the worst, until tonight when he broke all the rules and ran off the road from left to right. The side of the road where he ran had been mowed and he ran (sorta) and scooted under the guard rail. Was so intent on watching him that I didn't see the big frog he was no doubt after until it was too late to avoid turning it into frog puree.

On the ride down Lordville Road tonight there was a doe in the road, as I approached she scampered off the road leaving her twin fawns on the other side, I slowed as one fawn decided to follow mom with seemingly no awareness of the car. Waited at least a full minute before the second fawn crossed the road without any concern about holding up traffic.

Speaking of which, they are in the process of repaving the roads in Hancock (which badly needed it). I'm sure there is a procedural plan in place for both the paving and traffic control but I'm also sure that no one has told the ladies redirecting the cars and trucks on Main Street what the plan is. If your thinking about McDonalds for lunch, don't, go to Deposit and eat at Wendy's, not matter how long the line is, it'll be better than trying to get to and from Mickey D's.

The Fishing - I've never had August fishing this good (and I am not kidding),  but I do need a little help here if I'm going to provide worthwhile information to those fishing the sulfur zone. As you know I have been showing up mostly after the bug hatching, fish feeding early afternoon orgy and leaving to fish out of the zone in the evening. Query, is there still a good early afternoon sulfur hatch? And, is the upper river still crowded? I did my drive by a little before two today and found the Cold Springs Brook to Butler Brook area almost empty save for a few red barn regulars. Put the glasses on the water and saw some bugs and a couple of risers but nothing like a week ago. From Butler Brook down to Norboard the river was almost empty. What's the story? I fished a modest sulfur hatch from 2:00 'till 5:00 and stayed to fish to trout sipping those little green and brown flies until just after six. There were fish feeding the entire time and most were willing to either eat or refused my fly.  After eating my sandwich I went downstream out of the zone but above Hale Eddy and encountered one fisherman, a good hatch of olives, a few sulfurs and feeding fish. Tell me, are the sulfurs still hatching in the zone from 7:00 'till dark?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.