You don't have to be old to be in a fog.

My distaste for fishing in crowds is well known. Thursday and Friday last week and again today I didn't head for the river until after four thirty.  The sulfurs were in their lull period as were the fishermen. If you looked carefully there were still fish rising and each day I found fish, put on the gear, waded out only to be confronted by an afternoon thunderstorm. First the wind picked up, Thursday there was lightning near by, Friday lots of rumbling, today enough wind and rain that I waded back to the car. Each day the fog rolled in. Thursday and Friday I headed downstream until I got out of the fog and both days had a short period of very good fishing. 

Today I toughed it out. The rain never came down hard, the wind layed down and the fish kept on sticking their noses out of the water to eat those tiny little olives (and /or brownies). I had tied some of them on 22's and was able to catch a couple fish on them but mostly they were ignored. Fished a 22 spinner that also caught a couple of fish as did a size 20 caddis. As the fog began to roll in there were a few sulfurs on the water and I made the switch and was glad I did as the sulfur accounted for almost as many fish as the other three flies combined.

With the overcast skies and fog I was back in the car at 8:39. Drove back to camp with fog on the road from the rain. The camp temp was 85 when I left late this afternoon and with windows left open it had gotten down to 80 when I returned. Hopefully the frontal system that is arriving tonight and tomorrow morning will put an end to the high humidity, ninety degree days. FYI the BK hit 83, the BE almost 80 and the BR at Lordville 75. We need cool nights and a good rain to freshen the rivers and spread both the fish and the fishermen out.

The outlook - With the high water temps the Sulfur Zone is the only place to be.  To get your "spot" you need to be in the water before 11:00. The fish are hard to fool and catching even one is a chest puffing experience. I have enjoyed the relative quiet fishing during the lull and so do the fish. The evening fishing (with the expected drop in temperature ) is good wherever the water temps permit. Just don't expect anything to happen down river until almost eight.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.