Time to look for tricos.

 It's time to face facts. The sulfurs are on the wane. Yesterday I was tardy getting to the stream but had fish rising to sulfurs for about forty five minutes, was fishing between town and the red barn. Today I got going on time and  tried a place between Oquaga and the town bridge. Have been bested by the trout there twice already this year and wanted to try to get even. I didn't.

To begin with there was nothing anyone would call a sulfur hatch. There were a few fish rising to eat only God knows what. Did they come to my fly? You bet. Did they eat it? One nice rainbow and one three year old brown did. Several of the fish stocked in Oquaga with major parts of their mouths missing did. Half a dozen nice fish came up open mouthed and didn't, and I saw another couple dozen come up under my fly just for a look. Fished from 2:00 until 4:00 and it was more than enough. Drove back to the Lordville estate and took a little snooze.

 Forgot to mention that on the way back, in what was heavy traffic for rte. 17, there was a bear right across the river from WBA that was stopped under the guard rail waiting (they usually just bolt across) for an opportunity to cross the road. I was third in a line of six cars. Saw the driver ahead of me tap his brakes and I was past the bear. A stream of cars and semi's was heading west, hope he made it across.  

Awoke from the snooze in time to drive up the PA side of the big river. There were no cars at Buckingham (with the recent warm temps in the BR, there shouldn't be), and  a couple of cars at Stockport (perhaps pushing it a little bit). Shehawken appeared to be deserted but I did have a drift boat (no arrowhead, probably not a guide) row right by in front of me, not half a cast away, in the lower WB where I ended up fishing from 7:15 until 8:45. How was it?  Way better than my afternoon in the Sulfur Zone. In an hour and a half I hooked 10 rainbows, losing the first five in a row and then landing four before having the last one break me off.  It's better to have hooked and lost - - - -

      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.