I Been Searchin'.

 

Spent yesterday with family dodging rain showers and hiking the trail at Watkins Glenn. Today they are off to visit the other Grampa and I got a pass to fish. Drove down mid-morning on an empty Interstate 81. Both Deposit and Hancock streets were empty and even the world famous Lordville 4th of July parade was sparsely attended. Came away feeling that Fourth of July should somehow always be on a Monday or Friday.

There were showers on the way down and the grass was wet on arrival. Had a sandwich, and was tying a few flies, waiting for the grass to dry so I could mow, when a good heavy shower passed through Lordville and postponed the mowing. Put the newly tied flies into one of the Troutfitter's little plastic containers that you get when you buy a dozen flies, and at about 2:00 I headed out to look for a place to fish.

The freestones either were, (BK) or would soon be, (BR and EB) over 70 degrees and I deemed them out of play. Someday soon I will drive up Rte. 30 and check out the UEB, but today it was the WB that I was  searchin' for a reason to fish. Drove from Stilesville to Hale Eddy and back again without seeing a rise. Chatted with a long time river friend upstream from the Men's Club and while talking saw a fish rise, once. Got back in the car and continued my journey. At 3:00 my persistence was rewarded as I saw a half a dozen rises in a pool. Put on the waders and for two hours was treated to a sparse sulfur hatch that got some fish up. Was entertained, found a fly some fish would eat and in the process, landed three quality fish. At 5:00 it was over and I drove back to Lordville to tie more flies and eat a sandwich. At  6:30 I was again in the car heading up the WB. Found nary a riser anywhere and finally, at 8:00 o'clock waded into a pool in the lower third of the river. There was one other angler there and he let me (without me asking) walk past him to get into the slower water below him where hopefully fish would rise. They did and we both caught a couple of fish (his were bigger than mine). I lost a good fish two turns of the reel before he got into the backing and ripped a fly out of the mouth of another. There were bugs on the water but all of the action was condensed into the half hour before dark. 

The weather forecast shows two near ninety degree days with warm nights. The freestones are out of play, probably until fall. That leaves the UEB and the WB, a bunch of anglers, and what right now is some very difficult fishing. Show fellow anglers courtesy and respect and treasure every fish you catch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.