The Last Good Bye.

 

It's July, the hottest month for river temps, and a day of sunshine sent the BK to 76, the BR to 75, and the EB 72. The fish have had several warnings and most have no doubt made there way to thermal refuges. With even hotter temps expected tomorrow, a surge is on its way down to Lordville to keep the temp at 75 or below. It has been a good run but the freestones are done 'til fall. 

The disturbing thing to me is that the WB is acting more like a freestone than a tailwater.  What fishing there has been is concentrated in the last hour of daylight. With the imminent demise of the freestone fishing, I have searched in vain for good daytime fishing and found next to none. There are fishermen to be sure, but most of the ones I saw were standing with the rod over their shoulder looking for a rise. Never saw an angler with a fish on. Never even saw a fish rise.  

The fishing - Said good bye to the EB this morning. The water temp got down to 64 last night so I was on the river before eight and fished 'til eleven. There were no bugs, and saw but one rise that wasn't to my fly. In three hours I rose seven fish. Hooked five, landed three and was refused by two. Got my waders wet this afternoon but in a half hours fishing I never even saw a rise. This evening I fished the WB water in the BR before it mixes with the EB water. Great idea, never saw a bug hatch, got five refusals to blind casts and was in the car at 8:30 wondering where to go, drove up to the WB and waded into a run at 8:40, it was too early, but at least I didn't have to wait long. Put on an Invaria so I could see it and was promptly refused by two fish. Changed to a Dorthea and hooked a 13 inch rainbow that took backing off the reel. Got refused by two more fish (I think), reeled it in and headed for the car.

If your schedule is flexible, wait. If you are already here or scheduled to arrive, know that the river is full of fish - - - and that not many of them are being caught. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.