And The Thunder Rolled.


The first storm hit Lordville at 12;30 and it was a good one. The down spout on the back side of the camp got plugged (cleaned it last fall and again this spring) and water poured over the edge of the gutter, the back porch leaked both where I was supposed to fix it and in a new place (glad I waited). The PA side of the river was muddy from the creek in Equinunk but the river only bumped a smidgen. Doesn't matter, it's too warm to fish anyway. A little later a good one hit somewhere upstream of Deposit (Oquaga never rose a bit) and the river shot up 175 cfs. The east side of the system was untouched.

At 6:00 I set out on a recon mission. Got as far as Hale Eddy where  the river was "stained"  the color of coffee with two creams. Turned around and drove back to the 191 bridge in Hancock where the water was gray. There was a good two hours before the dinner bell would be rung for the fish and I knew it was only going to get worse there so I set sail for the UEB just like I promised a few days ago. To make a short story longer than it needs to be, it was a waste of time. From East Branch to Corbett I saw one fisherman, no rises and no bugs. Don't expect to make that drive again anytime soon. Undaunted I drove back to Hancock, and dodged the potholes on the road to the sewage treatment plant and fisherman's parking area - - for no reason at all. At 8:00 the water was still clear and there were neither a rising fish, bug or a fisherman to be seen.

The WB is, as I write, dropping fast, there is no more rain predicted, if you planned on coming, come, you won't need your fishing rod until at least 8:00 so bring your golf clubs, your camera, your secretary, (if she's stressed and needs time in a quiet rural setting), or maybe even your wife if she's stressed about the secretary. No one needs know how you spent your time until 8:30, and then we need to know every tiny detail up 'till 9:45. As they say at WBA, Lotsa Luck.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.