Who knew the window of opportunity would be opened so wide?

 Stayed in this morning and tied flies. A couple of  innovative iso patterns that I hoped would work, a  very small spinner, four brown fall caddis and half a dozen pseudos.  Before going out I checked the release at Stilesville and found out that they are shutting off the water to make a repair to the pipe.  The dewatering of the upper WB will probably do serious damage to the caddis population that has added a new dimension to the upper WB in recent years. The caddis nymphs can't follow the water drop as well as the mayfly nymphs and many will be left to die on a dry stream bed.

Armed with the knowledge of  the planned release decrease, I headed for the BR, unfortunately so had everyone else.  Changed plans and decided to try the BE, which after the rise of water late last week should be full of fish.  Had gotten down the steep bank and walked several hundred yards along the stream before I noticed that the shoreline had changed.  The out of water rocks from my last visit were covered by several inches of water.  My computer is very slow but it went click, click, whirr and I did a U-turn and headed back up the bank.  NYC was making its contribution to the minimum flow requirements on the lower Delaware by releasing more water from Pepacton while making repairs at the Cannonsville dam.  A surge of very cold water does not enhance trout feeding this time of year. 

Decided to fish a favorite place on the WB that I visit once or twice a year but for some reason had not fished this year. It's a rather long walk but when I fish it in the morning there are usually no boats. With the low water there would be no boats and hopefully a pseudo/iso hatch.  AND THERE WAS!!!  No boats, no wade fishermen, pseudos and rising fish galore.  My half dozen newly tied pseudos were used up in an hour. One somehow got stuck in the back of my vest, one dulled, one was broken off by a fish after the line caught on something subsurface and the rest just got chewed to pieces. Used the beaten and bedraggled ones still in my olive box and they worked just fine. The trout were eating pseudos and they weren't at all fussy.  There were iso duns on the water but I never saw one eaten.

 It was easily my best day of the season! Sometimes it's not easy being me, but today it was lots of fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.